Tuesday, August 3, 2010

mulligatawany



I went to a farmers market at the beginning of the summer. One lady sold some pre-made meals. I decided to take a small container of her mulligatawany soup home. It was made with goat leg meat and it was very tender. The overall taste of the soup was sooo good. After thinking about it for a long time, yesterday was the day I decided to make it.

You can use any kind of meat, but I used Goat Leg Meat. I bought it from another farmer. It wasn't as tender, but it was still good and the soup came out awesome!! I just love the combination of curry and coconut milk. From what I understand this soup is a type of Anglo-Indian soup. There are many variations of the soup. The back of the container I originally bought from the lady listed out her ingredients except the spices were not listed out. I ended up looking up a few recipes - getting an idea of how it was made - combined a few - and made sure I used all the ingredients that was in the actual recipe I tried. You could even serve it over rice or noodles. I might actually try that with some of the left overs (serve it over rice).

It was a winner and my husband really loved it too. The day before I made the soup I seared the pork leg and than braised it in the oven. I just put some red wine, beef broth and water on the bottom. I made sure I saved the broth for the recipe below.

Mulligatawny

* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
* 1-2 medium onions, chopped (about 2-1/2 cups)
* 1-2 medium sweet potatoes, diced (about 2-1/2 cups)
* 2 garlic cloves, pressed
* 6-3/4 cups chicken and/or goat stock
* 1 can (19 oz.) chickpeas, drained
* 1 cup diced cooked meat (I didn't measure - I used wayyy more than a cup of meat)
* 1 cup coconut milk
* 5 teaspoons curry powder
* 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
* 1 apple, chopped or shredded
* 1/2 cup to a cup of raisins
* garlic
* jalapenos

Directions

1. In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Sauté carrots, onions, potatoes, and garlic until the onions are translucent, 10 minutes.

2. Add the chicken stock and simmer over medium-low heat until the vegetables are soft, 20 minutes more.

3. Stir in chickpeas, apple, chicken, coconut milk, and curry powder and simmer until hot.

4. Mix in the cilantro at the end.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good. I would make it with Roland, he has a thing for curries. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete