Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Chicken Fra Diavlo


Tonight I made an oldie, but goodie. I can't even count how many times I've made this. A coworker and friend gave this to me at least 8 years ago. His name is Casey. Thank You for sharing it with me.

I do know there are some variations to this recipe. Some more involving than others, but I love the simplicity in this recipe. This recipe is usually prepared with seafood, such as shrimp - but this one is made with chicken. Something I have frequently in our house.

I served this with brown rice and green beans from our garden. The green beans were cooked in a combo of tomato sauce and chicken broth.



Recipe Ingredients
  1. 2 tablespoons of butter
  2. 1/2 cup of white wine
  3. garlic
  4. fennel seeds
  5. crushed red pepper
  6. oregeno
  7. tomatoe sauce
  8. chicken cut into strips and floured. I used two chicken boneless breasts and whole wheat flour. I usually use white flour, but figured why not use the whole wheat flour. It gave it a nice golden look.
Cooking Instructions
  1. melt butter in pan
  2. add and cook garlic
  3. fill bottom of pan with wine
  4. add spices, probably about 2 teaspoons each. I don't usually measure these.
  5. let cook for a few minutes
  6. add chicken strips and cook until done.
  7. At the end add just a little tomatoe sauce into the pan and let cook for another minute. Just a very little.
I didn't have any sauce in the house. I ended up boiling some water and threw a few garden tomatoes into it for about 40 secs. I let cool and peeled them. Blended them and let it come to a boil. Lastly, I let the sauce simmer for about an hour.

note the picture above doesn't show all the ingredients involved. My 2 year old has a cold and wasnt feeling well, so I had to hold her almost the entire time while cooking. My poor baby and my poor arm ; ). I realized after I took the picture that I forgot a few things.


TIP: I like to cut the chicken when its still slightly frozen. It's so easy to cut. I will cut it horizontally so there is 4 chicken breasts instead of two and than I cut it into strips. Key, thinner is better. It allows for more uniform and quicker cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment