Friday, October 2, 2009

Yogurt Waffles and homemade Blueberry syrup




Last night I was looking online for a healthy version of homemade waffles. I came across this and gave it a try this morning. They were pretty good. Unfortanately, I only had white flour, but don't see any reason why whole wheat flour will make any differences in taste. I will definitely try it with the whole wheat flour the next time. I like the fact that it has yogurt and oatbran in it. I love oatbran and I use it a lot. The picture didn't come out that great - dang camara. ; )

Recipe found here:

I also made a quick version of homemade blueberry syrup using fresh blueberries. You can get all fancy with this using sterile jars, mesh strainers ect. I didn't get all fancy though - too time consuming with kiddos around.

Homemade Blueberry Syrup

* 1 cup sugar or try 1/2 cup of frozen concentrated fruit juice (grape, peach, apple or mixed)
* 1 cup water
* 12 oz. blueberries (either fresh or frozen)
* 2 tbsp honey
* The juice of 1/2 lemon

Combine sugar and water in a 3 quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is completely dissolved. Add blueberries and honey. Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, stir in lemon juice and allow to reduce for approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Syrup may be served warm or at room temperature. It will thicken noticeably the cooler it becomes.

If desired, strain out blueberries using a fine wire-mesh strainer before serving.

Note* you might have to simmer longer if you want it thicker. You can always try blending it all when done/cooled and than put back on stove, bring to boil and simmer to thicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment